The International Bomber Command Centre re-opens on 21st July and is great for families. It is educational and fun, allowing both children and adults to learn through experiencing the exhibition galleries with their interactive displays and exhibits, the Peace Gardens and the Memorial. There are family fun sheets, a dressing up-station, book stations and a yearlong programme of free family events.
All aspects of the centre are open from 21st July, there’s a reduced menu in the café, booking in advance for everything is required; this includes the exhibition, visiting the gardens (still free) and parking tickets and visitors wishing to complete a family trail will have to bring their own pens. We are observing social distancing guidelines.
- See what children did during the war
- Learn about navigation and how it was used
- Hear the stories of the people who were there
- What it was like to spend time in a shelter
- Build a plane puzzle – how quickly can you complete the challenge?
Lots to do and see
Entry to the IBCC Peace Gardens, Memorial Spire and Walls of Names is free. Family tickets are available for the day or, for the same price, you can buy an annual pass giving unlimited access to the exhibitions for a year. So much going on!
- Gallery Trails and Dressing-up opportunities
- IBCC Crafternoons- free monthly craft sessions for children – everything from creating Bug hotels to creating sweetheart brooches – see our events pages for more information
- Free IBCC App with age specific content allowing you to explore the stories of those who served.
- Family ticket offers including our Annual Pass
- Under 5’s go free
- Family Fun Days during school holidays
- Free craft activities for families at our summer events
- A range of pocket money items available in the shop
- Ration Packs Lunches and Children’s Menu are available in the The Hub Cafe
- Highchairs available in the cafe
- Pre-bookable handling collection opportunities with original artefacts with our Learning Team
- Baby changing facilities
- Breastfeeding welcome
- Space to run around and let off steam
From Object Handling to Morse Code, we offer a range of hands on curriculum linked workshops for pupils aged KS1 upwards – covering SMSC and STEM subjects.
- £5 per pupil
- Maximum 60 pupils per visit
- 10.00-14.00 including break & lunch
- Includes tour of The Spire & Exhibition and a Workshop with the Learning Officer